Monday, April 12, 2010

The Death of a Friend


2 March 2010
To a friend:
Just a little while ago, my cousin called and delivered the news of your Mom’s passing. Apparently her mother informed her of this. So I’m glad you wrote to me. Of course I express my condolences to you and your family at this time in our lives.
The poet John Donne wrote something to the effect that every death diminishes each of us. I often think of that when I’m affected by someone’s passing away.
Tonight it was different. When your note came in e-mail I read the first sentences. Then I thought about it while I went downstairs and did some dishes. I knew I wanted to tell you how your mother brought joy to our lives, and even though it was many years ago true joy just stays around with you a long, long time. I felt a loss.
I returned upstairs to finish reading your note. My heart was so touched by your report of your father singing and telling the stories. And then I read of his reminding your mom of the picnic with my dad and mom and the rest of the family and guys from the shop, all by name. The singing, the memories, the stories for your mom. I am touched and honored to feel a part of the poetry of your family at this moment.
The poetry of our lives, our family’s, has been enriched as has yours. And like the poets, that’s forever.
Much love to all!
Tom Todaro

To Jan Vairio, Jules Gudchi