Tuesday, December 21, 2004

From Santa-morphisis

I decided to become Santa Claus for Christmas 2001. I had a suit custom made from a pattern of deep-burgundy satin, Sherpa (looks like white fur), belt, faux-boot shoe covers.

Mary and I made many appearances at subsidized childcare centers, a folk art gallery, the golf course, my mother’s assisted living home, a few parties, and sometimes I just wore the suit to go shopping.

Anthony was eighteen. One day near Christmas, he and a few of his friends were hanging around the house. I suggested they take Santa to the mall. We had a few stops to make on the way, first the UPS store. Here’s that excerpt from my “Santa-morphisis Journal,” being the Santa.

The Elves were all over the place. Playing with the toy UPS trucks, messing with the mailing supplies, trying to climb into the big package slot.

When I got on line I was behind a yuppie woman and her little girl. Both were dressed in red. They guy behind me said, “I don’t know about your choice of red, Santa.” I turned around and said, Check your history of Santa couture, buddy, article in Sunday’s NYT.
Then the little girl started in on me.
“You’re not the real Santa.”
“Why, yes I am dear.”
“No you’re not.”
Yes I am.’
‘No you’re not.”
“Yes I am.”
A lull.
“You’re not the real Santa.”
“Yes, I am honey.”
“The real Santa came to our clubhouse.”
“Your clubhouse?”
“No, you’re not the real Santa.”
“Yes I am.”
“No you’re not.”
“Yes I am.”
A lull
“You’re not the real Santa.”
“Yes I am.”
And this continued.
“Your name wouldn’t be Virginia,” I said.
“No.”
Her mother muttered something like, Santa wouldn’t say anything like that.
I didn’t think she could be Virginia. Virginia would have believed.

Off to Plantation South assisted living to deliver the Christmas gift for the staff from Mom. With the Elves in tow, sweeping the cookie basket as we pass through the ice cream parlor/beauty shop corridor. On to Mom’s room as I introduce my Elves and kiss Mom, hand her a card that came in my mail. Off to the Mall.

Ah, the possibilities. Waving, Ho-ing, hugging, posing for pictures with people randomly. Photo in front of Frederick’s of Hollywood. Santa at the mall. The Elves and I schemed and schemed. Hmmm . . . how about a picture of Santa with Santa? Over Japanese food the boys considered chipping in for the picture. They would never let us just shoot a snapshot. I was skittish about even going near the Santa picture set. I was afraid of being kicked out, or worse.
More pictures. Two female police officers and me. No they were not arresting me. Shot of us with three girls the Elves know from school. Shot of a high school theater diva, her boyfriend, and Santa.
Did get close enough to the Santa set to see the minimum was twenty bucks. The Elves passed on paying the tab for the picture, scooted off to work, shopping and hijinks.

Santa retired to the bar. Picture of Santa and bartender behind the bar. Played Trivial Pursuit with some patrons. Santa kicked butt.
All had a merry time.
Off to Sheltering Arms day care tomorrow.

(Photos available soon.)

The shortest day of the year

Winter in North Georgia is usually mild with abundant sunshine. The birdbath stayed frozen all day yesterday. Spent about an hour splitting firewood from a tree Anthony and I had to cut down last spring.