Friday, November 12, 2004

Tell me if you’ve heard this one

A new shopping center sprouted up on our corner. I’ve had my hair cut there a few times by a girl named Soo. The last time I was in I thought it odd that Soo would offer to squeeze a pimple or two next to one of my temples. I told her it was OK, but no thanks.

She does a great job of cutting my hair, massaging my shoulders, and massaging my head during the shampoo. The shampoo comes after the haircut.

Today she told me I had a blackhead near one of my temples and she should squeeze it or I’d get more. Ewwww, but I told her to go ahead.

Soo is Korean so I figure it’s a cultural difference that I would think it a bit weird. She held the removed item up in front of my eyes, See? Has anybody out there had this experience at a barber?

Stop. Let’s move on now

My friend Raina called yesterday to ask If I had read the November 15th New Yorker. Since mail wasn’t delivered yesterday I had not. She told me I should read Talk of the Town as soon as my copy arrived. Today I did.

Although the balance of power is precariously out of whack in Washington, a mandate from we the people is hardly the reality. “ . . . the number of voters who cast their ballots for Republican Senate candidates was 37.9 million, while 41.3 million voted for Democrats.” And this: “The system of checks and balances has broken down, but the country remains divided—right down the nonexistent, powerless middle. –Hendrik Herzberg”

Cities attacked by Al Qaeda:

New York, voted three to one for Kerry
Washington D.C., voted nine to one for Kerry

Keep your mighty pens poised, folks. The votes should be counted. Congress should investigate. And we should stop the teeth gnashing and move on to the next hard work. We work hard. It is hard work. We're working hard . . .

Big government Democrats? According to William F. Buckley, of all conservatives, also in this week’s The New Yorker: “Government is now 20.9 percent of G.D.P., and that’s bad stuff.” He’s then quoted as saying, Drink to that! In today’s parlance I’d say, Pray on that!