Friday, November 19, 2004

Those zany kids around him

Well, all you folks who voted for “the good people around him,” now that these nice boys have an actual track record running foreign policy, justice, education, commerce--left anything out?--GWB is replacing them. With their peers of the past four years! (Please pardon the gratuitous sloganeering.) With the same track record! He’s putting the kids in charge! (I wonder how George liked “Risky Business.”) I wonder if there will be more “smooch appointees.” What’s up with the kiss on the lips for Margaret Spellings? All you educators out there know where you can place your next buss. Lookin’ more and more like George II’s harem . . . Anyway, Bob Herbert puts it much better:

“I look at the catastrophe in Iraq, the fiscal debacle here at home, the extent to which loyalty trumps competence at the highest levels of government, the absence of a coherent vision of the future for the U.S. and the world, and I wonder, with a sense of deep sadness, where the adults have gone.”

I hope most are home, telling their kids the truth. Afraid we’re in this for the long haul.

So I decided to spend an hour out back taking pictures of titmice. I used the motor drive. But I can’t show you the pictures until I get the picture posting resolved. Until then, you can look at a picture and information about the titmouse.

My backyard is usually frequented by bluebirds, cardinals, brown thrashers, woodpeckers (even the huge pileated kind), sometimes a hawk or two, a falcon for a brief spell . . . purple martins . . . flocks of geese and ducks . . . buzzards, just about any bird you’d think of flying through these parts.

Today I saw one blue jay and that was it. Hundreds of titmice flittering all over the yard. They’re very jittery and fly in a quick elevate/descend patterns. Difficult to photograph, hard to anticipate their moves.

What’s up with them new CNN commercials? Is it the point that their news is produced by airheads? No pun intended.