Tuesday, November 09, 2004

You gotta know when to hold’em, know when to loosen up a little

Last night Joy, Pat, and I went to a fundraiser for Anthony’s Whole World Theater, Texas hold’em at Prince of Wales Pub on Piedmont Park. We didn’t win tattoos, hot-air balloon ride, Hawks tickets, house cleaning. All we won was a little fun.

I expected it to be like the Bravo Channel game, with actors and comedians cutting up, cracking jokes. But I must admit I had to step in and loosen everybody up. I wore a Mayan god around my neck, a trinket I bought for Anthony in Cancun several years back. Told the table it was the “penis god of good luck.” I don’t remember what god it really is but it was worth some yuks.

Glad I went and I’ll be back for the final game next Monday night.

As I was driving up to the house at noontime today, my neighbor was driving away. He waved, turned his SUV around, and came back as I was unlocking the front door to my house.

“Are you selling your car?” No, I said. “Well I thought it had some ‘for sale’ signs on it. I’m looking for a car for my son.”

“You must mean the ‘Give Bush the Boot’ signs.”

“Yeah, I guess that was it.”

I stroke my goatee.

I’m with John Dufresne. Chip away at it. We have two years, a political eternity, to win back some congressional seats. Pull no punches. We are who we are.

This is a country based on a wonderful Constitution, rule of law. Let’s go get ‘em.

Has anybody taken notice of the presidential seal evident on the sidewall at Bush’s latest press conference? When our “political-capital” laden president is photographed or televised in profile, the golden seal looks like a halo around his hollow head. Eerily Christ-like. I’ve never noticed a press-conference set like that in many administrations of my lifetime.

Bob Novak on today’s Crossfire rhetorically asking, now that GWB has such a great mandate, if democrats will find it in their hearts to offer “unconditional support of the war and our troops.” What does he think we are? puppies?