Wednesday, September 22, 2004

:60 radio, Toads for Changing Horses in Midstream

G.W.B.: The economy is improving.

American No. 1: Well, yes, I am 54 but I have skills and many good years ahead . . . but you can’t just . . . can you hire me on a trial basis? No? but that’s not fair.

American No. 2: I have a college education and four years of experience. I can’t support myself and my kid on eight dollars an hour.

G.W.B.: The mission in Iraq is accomplished.

SFX, all over Iraq: Boom! Rat-a-tat-tat! Weeping, screams of anger.

G.W.B.: Democracy is taking hold, elections are scheduled for January.

Voices of the Middle East: Leave our country! No?

SFX: Pleading, weeping. Chop, hack. Screaming.
SFX, Countrywide: BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! RAT-TAT-TAT! RAT-TAT-TAT!

Announcer: The only jobs with decent pay Bush’s policies have created are in Iraq. They are well paying but the price for the hire may be your life. If you don’t believe that, ask the families of Eugene Armstrong, ask the wife and thirteen-year-old daughter of Jack Hensley, my metro-community mates in Marietta. Ask the family of Ken Bigley in Liverpool.

SFX: Pleading, weeping. Chop, hack. Screaming.

V.O.: I’m Tom Todaro and I approve this message.

One final note: Elly had her surgery today, the bump was taken off her neck. She's sleeping, on puppy medication, and she's stopped whimpering. We'll get the pathology results soon. (I think she's fine.) Good night, peace lovers.