Tuesday, September 07, 2004

We had fun today

The first thing I must say is that my headline was originally in Spanish. The post wouldn't publish so I'm trying it in English.

Frances, that damn big ole hog of a hurricane, threw a bunch of wind and rain way the hell up here, north of Atlanta and into this once farm town. (Hope it knocked Zell into a hornet's nest up thar in Young Harris. Heh, heh.) The best thing I saw happen around here was that golf course they want to build homes on along the Chattahoochee was transformed into one big lake. Maybe the Army Corps of Engineers will get it. The worst was a pear tree down. Winds of about 50 mph, max, hit around here and split the old ornamental pear in front of the rest home where my Mom lives assisted.

Made a deal with the manager of the home. I went and got my two friends who work at the golf course, but not today of course, and we got rid of the split part of the tree, along with the other still-standing half; thus saving the old folks who sit on the porch from the possibility of wandering under a hurt tree and meeting disaster.

We were the show as residents gathered to watch Juan take down that tree with my chainsaw. We had fun, as my friends said, graciosos and divertivo, I know I'm butchering the Spanish, but we rode along in Juan's truck, three to a mini-cab, rocking, singing, and laughing to the Mexican radio station. Estoy muy consado.