Thursday, September 09, 2004

Another story of Hurricane?

Carl Hiaasen must be mulling over the possibilities. CNN is featuring families seriously considering moving. Hurricane, Hurricane, Hurricane, that’s what I’d call the book. Nature, of course, will always have her due. Sorry greed, sorry “developers.”

Hollywood/Dania, Grove/Gables, maybe Las Olas, South Beach, and other cool spots, will be all that remains. The Everglades will revive.

I stopped by the tiller repairman’s house. He’s a young looking sixty, retired, scours garage sales for small-engine equipment. Fixes and puts them out by the road next to his sign, For Sale. He fixed my tiller pretty well but I decided he could have it for fifty bucks. I’m getting too old to farm. But, a mule? now that would be cool, to have another pet . . . and I think my parenthetical obsession is now turning to the ellipses . . .

Somebody is going to find his bar tab. It will prove GWB had to commute 220 miles in order to drink in the bar holding the tab and still show up for work every day in Alabama. (Maybe Equifax could investigate.)

Only a couple of hours from Alabama, Atlanta was one-hell-raisin’ town in those years. My first trips here were to the Atlanta Pop Festivals, I and II, at the NASCAR racetrack near the airport, then in Byron, Georgia, just south of Macon.

I remember not inhaling and swimming in a river on the Byron site, late summer 1970. Most of us were naked. I hope that smirking guy, now that I recall, wasn’t Geor . . . he did look a lot like . . . ! He was hitting on a chick from my acting class who was special to me . . . now I know why I never liked the SOB!

Looks like Juan, Uriel, and I can have all the red maple firewood we can haul off. I’m working on a scheme. I played golf today and asked them if they would like to work for me again, hauling wood. Juan said “no comprende” and we all laughed. Udell said, “muy consado.” I said, “me too.”

I went to my Mom’s place today, brought her two new pairs of shoes to try out. She sat in the parlor of her assisted-living home and tried on the shoes. One pair was too tight but the other was cool. She was the center of attention. Everybody walked up and wanted to see the shoes. I was looking for takers on a 9 ½ m, the pair too small for Ma. No sale so I return to Penney’s.

Who you are with is so important. Played golf on a beautiful day with Faye, as her guest. Faye is the chief ranger at our local swampy playground. She is a great lady and a great friend, so I naturally had a wonderful time. No problem about the Kerry bumper sticker, Faye. Let me know if you need anything else. Who you are with is so important.