Monday, September 06, 2004

Depends on who you speak with

It says here in The Atlanta Constitution today, our income in metro has decreased ten percent in the past three years. This region tends to rise above median income; thirteen-percent increase in the high-flying nineties versus eight percent nationally. While that double-digit increase was being reversed, Bush sat in the White House presiding over a "My Pet Goat," do- nothing domestic agenda. Bob Herbert previews what we can expect in a report from the Economic Policy Institute being released today: more studies showing real income has lagged along with job loses. Even those lucky enough to have jobs have lesser-paying jobs. Looks like the only company offering decent-paying work these days is the anti-big-government republican administration and its subsidiaries (You name them).

Today is labor day but only those hanging onto the teat of "capital" have reason to celebrate, or at lease smirk a little. The tax cuts have eased the, ah, pain? for the rich but haven't done spit for those of us who work for a living. Worse, the jobs Bush has promised are probably stashed away somewhere along with Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

Are we better off now than four years ago (a question Bush surely does not want to hear)? I guess it depends on who you speak with. It must be the unemployed, underemployed, or the totally impoverished; there aren't that many teat suckers. I suggest the first step to a better picture for American workers will come November 2, on our way to our precincts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/06/opinion/06herbert.html?th

Here's a tip I read in an article about the Cheese Maestro of New York. Use wax paper to store your cheese. Using plastic is like putting a garbage bag over your head and sealing it up. (I would quote directly from the article but I'd have to go find it, but that's what he said.). I've tried it (the wax paper, not the garbage bag) and it works!

Today I sold my old six-HP rototiller for fifty bucks or I'm having it fixed for a hundred. It's a toss-up. We'd like to till-up more of our lawn and grow more vegetables. It's time to plant collards, lettuce, cabbage in North Georgia. I'd like a goat or two. City code all but eliminates the goats, and my kids are vegan and vegetarian now. They'd frown on me exploiting the little billies for milk and cheese. I might get the tiller back and run beans all over this third-acre. We could have a veritable, vegetational and vegan tofu factory. Maybe I'll (your best Zell Miller affectation of a mountain accent here) turn vegan.