Thursday, September 16, 2004

A poem, stormy weather, y bicicleta

I went to see Juan and his son, Uriel (Uriel is "one of the archangels named in the Apocrypha and in Hebrew tradition," according to the American Heritage Dictionary). I said, "bicicleta." And they taught me the whole sentence I was looking for. "Yo quiero a comprar el bicicleta." They sold me a ten-speed. My son and daughter can use it to spin around their neighborhood; save on gas and parking. Uriel thinks I can speak Spanish pretty well, and that he can't speak much English. He has it backwards.

My sister, Carol, is a good writer. She sent me a poem today about cats and dogs that made me smile.

Mary and I went through a tough decision about her driving to her ad agency client today, towards stormy weather and tropical storm Ivan. It’s the final day of creative for a catalog she's writing and the retailer is coming in for review. I almost drove her there. Ivan is skewing north and not enough east to threaten now. Tornadoes have hit South GA and a tornado warning is in effect down there. Mary went ahead, an hour southwest of here. I stayed home. She said the ride was not bad at all. But we’re under a heavy rain/wind warning, possible gusts up to 50mph this afternoon. I guess if the weather gets real bad while she’s there, she’ll stay until it improves. Makes me nervous.

My first hurricane was Donna in Hollywood, Florida, 1960. I was ten.