Thursday, October 07, 2004

Late-breaking snapshots

They said that?

Responding to protesters who must have crawled through the woodwork to get in, The Right-Rev. Dick Cheney, as reported on CNN today, said “Be nice to them. We still might be able to convert them.” Amen, brother.

CNN’s Barbara Star, reporting on live violence in Baghdad today, called the city “a relatively safe place, until the gunfire starts.”

Soon after the rocket attacks on the Sheraton, there were reports of “controlled explosions.” CE’s are bombs aimed where the forces on the ground think the guys with the lethal weapons are hiding. Why don’t we just say we’re shooting back! Wait a minute, that part about aiming where we "think" the bad guys are sounds eerily familiar . . .

The pen is mightier than the sword

I emailed this to our cable company:

On 4 Sept. 2004 I spoke with Dave in your call center. I pointed out that
we were erroneously charged $35 for having a representative stop by our
house and trade-out a faulty digital receiver box. You can read that charge
on the bill of 8/21/04. Dave told me he dropped the charge from our account. We paid the bill minus the $35 charge, but it reappeared on the bill dated 9/21/04.

They wrote this:

I apologize for inconvenience (sic). However, your credit was disapproved due to
the Technician coming out to replace your Receivers.

And I wrote:

I'm getting a little bored with cable TV. Maybe there is a more-interesting service to which I could subscribe . . . Your representative told me there would be "no charge" to have an employee stop by.

So they said:

Thank you for contacting Charter Communications.

I have credit (sic) your account $35.00.

And I:

Thank you very much.