Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The soul of America will beat the false Christians any day of the week

I’m watching the Move On concert, the finale of Vote for Change, broadcast live on Sundance. I’m watching one of the strongest industries in America fight for freedom right here on our soil.

Artists have risen up and met the challenge of those who would hijack democracy in the name of fear. They are rich and they want Bush out. Imagine that.

Oh God, save America, do not let this bunch have another day, another say in how we are governed after this election. I’m going to mix politics and prayer here, pardon me, but I pray for a Kerry victory in November. God bless the artists, probably the most independent workers on the planet.

Paraphrasing Bruce Springsteen tonight: America is not always right but it is true and in seeking these truths we find our freedom.

Notes from Friday’s debate:

Bush:

“I wasn't happy when we found out there wasn't weapons, and we've got an intelligence group together to figure out why.”

Me: Oh, really. Would you have been happier with a mushroom cloud, giving you visual support for starting a war you were just looking for a reason to start? And if you can’t even speak a sentence with verb/noun agreement, then why should I vote for you to run a war on terror in a complex world rather than a guy who not only speaks fluent English but also is learned enough to speak fluent French?

By the way, damn it anyway, why didn’t Iraq do its part and produce the WMD so you could be right? This game is tiring.

After a question about the environment and what he has done to improve it, Bush led with this:

Bush: “Off-road diesel engines--we have reached an agreement to reduce pollution from off-road diesel engines by 90 percent.’

Off-road diesel engines? Bush leads with a plan to reduce pollution from bulldozers? Well, he should because his pro-lumber, pro-developer policies might someday create an actual problem with off-road diesel engines.

“I've got a plan to increase the wetlands by 3 million.”

Now that’s a useful plan. We could use three-million new wetlands. And we’ll probably get them if Bush is reelected and developers like Wal-Mart have their way. But they’ll be oily and muddy and ugly and we might have to live in apartments overlooking them.

Bush: I guess you'd say I'm a good steward of the land.

Me: I guess I’m counting the flatware as fast as I can.

Acknowledging mistakes will have to wait until we’re dead and can’t vote:

Bush: But history will look back, and I'm fully prepared to accept any mistakes that history judges to (sic) my administration, because the president makes the decisions, the president has to take the responsibility.

Me: But Mr. President, you told Bob Woodward, as reported in his book, when he asked how history would judge your presidency, “I don’t know, we’ll all be dead.”

My question is, if you are dead how will you “accept any mistakes that history judges to (sic) my administration?”

Thanks to John Dufresne for the link to the full text of the debate. It helped fill in my recall.

Source: http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/101004X.shtml