Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Turning up the electricity in The Magic Kingdom

It's ELECTRIC down there. After a weekend of knocking on doors in Orlando, the media are reporting grassroots action all over the state. I got goose bumps when I saw the Kerry office on the news in Brandon, Florida, a town I have visited hundreds of times to see friends and family. A town where an old friend I love lives; fellow-progressive, turned ultra-conservative, turned Bush fundraiser. We were each other’s best men in our weddings. To Brandon I say, may the best man win.

I’m struck by how easy it was to walk through neighborhoods, knock on doors, and find so many voters willing to speak with me. My recall is a mental blur, after hours of discussing many issues with forty or fifty people, maybe more. As I settle back in at home I review snapshots in time (took some real pictures and I’ll see if my “Hello” is working so I can post them.): The Greek, no-nonsense immigrant who invited me in to see some emails. Having recently visited Germany, the man tells me public support for Kerry swells throughout Europe.

“What issue is most important to you, sir?” I asked. “Bush is a moron.” The Cuban couple, husband leans strong Kerry, wife slight lean to Bush, “but I don’t know the politics that much.” The three of us had a nice long conversation. She knows the politics a bit better now. The Department of Defense worker, “I work for DOD, and so does my wife. Definitely Bush. My wife? Sure you can talk with her but . . . “ No thanks, you know what side your bread is buttered on.

The feelings, the perceptions, yard signs for Bush (usually two, come on, two signs in a 50’ front yard?) Yard signs for Kerry. Lot of Martinez/Senate signs, no Castor’s but I understand she’s pulling even with the Republican. Liberals, with their studied resolve to make a change, neocons with anger, fear, and belligerence in their eyes.

Now I know why they call them battleground states.